Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Impressions... Rick Klein

Rick Klein
Executive Producer
Beyond Katrina

The Mississippi Gulf Coast has always been a playground for me. The beach, the islands, the resort hotels have been a wonderland of enjoyment for both me and my family. Whenever relatives would visit from Kentucky, I would always include a trip to the Coast to entertain and amuse them. Even when I had work assignments on or near the coast, the recreational value of the area made my job easier if not downright fun. So it is with great remorse that I now realize my playground is gone.

When I was assigned the Beyond Katrina television show, I wasn’t sure how I would approach the project. Even though the heart of the damage was only three hours away, I felt comfortably removed from the pain and suffering felt every day by the coastal residents. A battery of producers and cameramen from Mississippi Public Broadcasting would be the ones to witness, first hand, the human condition on the coast, keeping me safely informed through video news stories of the rescue, relief and rebuilding efforts. I would stay in my Jackson office, compiling the reports and assembling the program, viewing the finished product much like a home audience would. However, I knew at some point I would need to force myself to visit the coast and experience the emotions and impressions others had reported.

My first visit was in early November. The weather was cool and pleasant, the day sunny and bright. The ocean breeze charged the air with anticipation. Braced by the closeness of my traveling companions, I thought I was ready to see the damage. I was mistaken.

I have never been in a hurricane nor witnessed the destruction caused by a monster storm. I was totally unprepared for the vast amount of devastation I saw on my brief visit to Jackson and Harrison counties. I know it is almost cliche to say, but it’s gone. My playground was gone.

Gone were the familiar landmarks that guided me around the beachfront boulevards. Gone were the piers, the boardwalk, the beach vendors. Gone were the familiar seafood restaurants, the quick stops and souvenir shops. All that remained were piles of debris, pushed aside by first responders, watched over by shell-shocked oak trees.

The more I traveled along the coast the more humbled I became. A growing emptiness was forming in the pit of my stomach. I was ready to leave as soon as I could, but my tour continued for several hours. At one point, my companions and I got out of the car and walked among the destruction. I wanted to make it right. I wanted to put it all back together as it had been just a few months ago, but the scope of the devastation was overwhelming. Street after street of shattered homes and businesses stretched in front of us. I slumped in the back seat of the car and my mind went blank. I tried making conversation, but everything I said seemed hollow and vague. It wasn’t until I was far north of the coast that I began to comprehend what I had just seen. I knew then how I would approach the Beyond Katrina program.

The story of the people, places and events of the Mississippi Gulf Coast is a tale that will need to be told again and again. The hurt and loss endured by these residents can never be forgotten, not for one moment. The resiliency and resolve of these proud people is a story unto itself. My job, my direction will be to keep fresh in the minds of all Mississippians the monumental struggle that lies ahead for those affected by the storm. Through interviews, stories, vignettes, and music the plight of our coastal neighbors will be brought to life every month when the Beyond Katrina program is broadcast to a statewide audience. It will be my duty and honor to follow the rebuilding process and to inform a concerned public of the progress made every day as we all look, beyond Katrina.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger MPB Online said...

Thanks for stopping by,we've got much more coming down the pipe. Be sure to check out the website www.mpbonline.org to see video clips of our Beyond Katrina program.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home